Sunday, June 24, 2007

Performance Workshop

Today I did something I've never done before. I ran a performance workshop for my students in which a colleague kindly came and wrote comments about the performances, and then shared her observations with the students after they had all performed.

A few weeks before, I had attended a concert at our conservatorium which was organised by my colleague, recorder expert and teacher, Elizabeth Hassan. It was a terrific concert, which included Baroque and contemporary pieces for recorder, soprano, cello and harpsichord [though not always at the same time!]

Elizabeth had some helpful comments to make for each of the six students who played, and did this in a constructive and positive manner. She kindly drove over 50 kilometres [each way] to give her insights to my students.

And she had a great quote to share which I'd never heard before:
Amateurs practise until they get it right
Professionals keep practising until it can't go wrong

She told us she got that from her own teacher, many years ago.

Thanks, Elizabeth!

No comments: